Valentine's Day Cake (Making Teddy Bears) – Part 1
With Valentine’s Day coming up I thought I would do a cake tutorial. I make fondant decorations before making the cake to allow them to dry.
Teddys are cute, simple to make and can be used for a valentine’s cake or a child’s birthday cake.
Here is how I make fondant teddy bears:
What you will need:
- Fondant already coloured
- Quilting wheel tool
- Small ball tool
- Water to stick fondant or edible glue ( Wilton Water Brush )
- Spaghetti or toothpick
- Cling-film/zip lock bag (to keep excess fondant in to stop it from drying)
I recommend getting the Wilton Fondant/ Gum Paste Tool Set. It has all the tools needed for modelling.
- For the body, shape fondant into a pear.
- Next, make the legs by rolling the fondant into a log and then cutting it in the middle at a slight angle.
- Dab with a little water to stick to body.
- Use a knife tool/knife to make paws.
- Use a quilting tool down the middle of the body make stitches. (Do this on the back of the body too).
- Make the arms in the same way as the legs. Shape them how you want them to be placed. Insert either a toothpick or spaghetti into the body to support the head.
- Make an oval shape for the head. Dab bottom with water and place on top of body.
- Make two small equal sized balls for the ears. Use a small ball tool and press gently. Cut a little of the circle off. Stick onto head using water.
- Use quilt tool to make stitch marks down the head. Make a small ball and press down to make an oval shape. Cut a little v shape out for the nose. Stick onto head. Roll another small ball and place into v.
- Use comb tool to make mouth and use a toothpick or modeling stick to make dots. Stick on the eyes.
- I did not have any black fondant at the time I started making this bear and so I used the same colour as the body for the eyes. I painted it with black icing. (It takes so much black to make black fondant I did not want to try).
When making the other bear I used black fondant to make the mouth. I thought this looked better and changed the other bear’s mouth too. I made a heart using a cutter and placed this into the bears hands. I used a little petal dust for the bears cheeks.