How to Make Gum Paste Roses
In this post, I will show you how to make gum paste roses.
I’m sure there are many methods to make roses, but this is the method that works for me.
Gum paste roses could be used on a cake for many occasions, they look great, and people seem to love eating them!
What you need:
- Wilton Ready-To-Use Gum Paste (have it already coloured)
- Fondant rolling-pin / Pasta Machine
- Foam Pad
- Icing sugar/corn starch
- Fondant ball tool
- First, make a ball and turn it into a cone by pinching the top.
- Insert a toothpick into the cone and let dry. I usually use Styrofoam as stand to hold it up while drying.
- I used a pasta machine to roll out the gum paste. If you don’t have access to a pasta machine, you could just use a fondant rolling-pin, but try to roll it as thin and evenly as possible.
- Cut out a petal using a small petal cutter for the inside. You can gradually use bigger cutters for the outer petals, depending on how big you want your rose to be.
- Using the fondant ball tool, ruffle the top edge of the petal.
- Wrap the petal sideways onto the cone, for the bud.
- Repeat these steps for each petal, adding three petals initially, then five in the next row, and increasing in odd numbers.
And that’s it! You should have a beautiful rose, to create stunning cakes.
Initially it does take some practice (and patience) to get it right, but keep trying!
If you have any questions, thoughts or suggestions, please leave a comment. 🙂