How to Make a Basic Sponge Cake
In this post I will show you how to make a basic sponge cake which I will refer to in future posts.
Sponge cake is one of those cakes that could be served in many ways, and tastes great on its own, or coated with butter-cream and other treats.
There are many recipes for making sponge cake out there on the internet, but I have found that this one creates a perfect, soft and sponge cake every time!
I hope you give it a go, and please do comment with your stories! 🙂
- 350g/12oz butter or margarine
- 350g/120z caster sugar (super fine)
- 6 eggs
- 350g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3 and cream together butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Crack the eggs into the bowl, adding a spoon of flower after each egg. Add 1 tsp of vanilla extract and mix.
- Grease a pan with butter or margarine or line it with grease proof paper. Place in preheated oven and bake for an hour. You can check if the cake is ready by inserting a knife and making sure that it comes out clean.
- And that’s all there is to it! You have your perfect sponge cake. Now you can decorate it with butter cream, or serve it plain with tea! You are only limited by your imagination! 🙂